March 18, 2015

Fish, Frogs, Mushrooms, and Spiny Things - Part 1?

Hi, all.

So let's give you a quick update on my photography class.  Film photography is, like, super duper fun, and I've done a lot of cool stuff in class this year, but third quarter, my teacher kept being absent/things in the darkroom kept breaking, and basically the last couple months have been really frustrating because we couldn't get anything done.  And then, finally, my teacher decided that because she's also pursuing her own art career, she really didn't have the time to teach this class (which honestly had become pretty clear), plus she kept getting sick (and I genuinely hope something's not wrong, like she's still a good person and everything), but so, long story short: she's quitting in a week.  But she's leaving day after tomorrow.  Aaaaaaand I'm mad.

I'm mad 'cause several times this year, she got mad at us for not working hard enough on this class, and now she's really just bailing on us (and she has a greater obligation than we do, being the teacher and all - I mean nearly every time she was gone, she didn't even leave sub notes, so we just sat in the room and stared at the wall for an hour and a half), and also because I may or may not be able to finish this project, and I want to because I wanna submit some pieces to the Kimball Art Center's Wasatch Back Student Art Show.  The theme of this year's show is "Over the Moon, Under the Sea."  I went to the aquarium and everything.

I have finished a couple of prints, though, and I like them, so now I'm posting them here.

This is some sort of weird demonic sea urchin.  *shrug*
This is the same photo, but "solarized."
(basically you expose it to light as you're developing)
These are some cute mushrooms. 
Same mushrooms!  Except I sprayed on the
developer instead of putting it in a tray.
The thing that sucks is that there are some things I would still like to develop, but I don't know if I'll be able to because I don't know if we'll still be doing actual film stuff with our sub fourth quarter.  But like, look at this frog here.  He'd come out so cute.

There's a tiny frog in the middle.  I upped
the contrast in iPhoto so you could see him better.
We started a project with a lot of cool stuff, like cross-processing (developing color film with black and white chemicals), solarizing, scratching/tearing/burning negatives, etc, and I was starting to get excited about the class for the first time since the beginning of the year.  So ah...who knows what'll happen now, really.  *sigh*  Whaaatever.

Anyways, until next time.
-Allie H-S

EDIT: The title of this post also promised you a fish, so here's that:

And here's a turtle and a duck just 'cause I like them:

I'm not sure why the colors are so weird on the frog one.  *shrug*

My new photography teacher seems okay, I guess.  Better.  We'll see how this goes.

Also, this is indeed part one, but there is little chance of a part two.  Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment