December 18, 2014

Short Story Time! "Missoula"

Hi, all.

I know I haven't posted in a while, and I also know that I promised you all a peek at whatever decent writing I manage over this school year.  We really haven't done any interesting writing in English this year (just essays and things), but I would kind of like this blog to function as a portfolio, so maybe I'll post those later.  In the meantime, I'll talk about my latest couple Creative Writing pieces.

But first (bear with me), I am excited to announce that next year, Mr. Parker will be offering a Creative Writing II!  It will be a class in which each student chooses a long-term project, a goal they've been interested in for a while, but haven't found the time to fulfill.  These include screenplays, novels, poem books, etc, and the entire year will be dedicated to finishing that one project.  This means that, potentially, I could have a book published before I'm out of high school.

Oh my god.  I have been wishing for a class like this for years.

Also, so you don't think I've been doing nothing all school year, here are the projects we've done in Creative Writing that I may or may not (probably won't) post later:
1. Memoir - We spent the entirety of first quarter just writing this short memoir.  Mine was about a friendship I lost last year, and involved a lot of personal angst.  We'll be reviewing these fourth quarter, and if I decide then that mine doesn't suck (or at least that I can fix it), I'll post it then.
2. Horror Story - I didn't actually finish my horror story (whoops), partly because I had horrible writer's block, but mostly because I kind of went all-out and decided to write about things that frighten me personally, every single day.  It was about creepy china dolls and mirrors and evil reflections and stuff, and I'm pretty damn sure that I can't ever finish it without it affecting how comfortable I am at home, so you probably won't see that one.
3. Unexpected News ("Missoula") - This (or most of this) should be posted below.  The prompt was to write a story in which the main character receives unexpected news.  "Missoula" is about a fifteen-year-old boy named Andy whose mother one night takes him and his little sister, Molly, and leaves their father.
4. Deeply-Held Secret - This one really wasn't very good.  My main character, Ed, has a crush on a girl who's into drugs and stuff; one day when there's a drug bust at school, the girl stuffs her drugs into a random kid's locker, and Ed realizes it's his best friend's.  It was choppy though, and poorly put together.  I like Ed's friend's name, though; it's Lionel.  (He goes by his middle name, which is Jack I think, short for Jacob.)
5. Surprise Ending ("Locks and Keys") - Okay, so my surprise ending here wasn't that revelatory or anything, it just wasn't overly anticipated.  "Locks and Keys" will hopefully be posted eventually, but first, I'm entering it in a writing contest.  It's about a sixteen-year-old girl named Elliot whose mother died just a couple of months ago.  Elliot finds a note written by her mom before she died telling her that she needs to find the box that a certain key fits because it's apparently got some cool stuff inside.

And that's as far as we've gotten.  So.  Here, have a link.

"Missoula" on Google Drive

You'll notice Missoula has "Part 1" at the end of its title.  This is because I'm toying with the idea of making it into a little continuing project.  So maybe I'll post more of that later.

So...yeah.  Enjoy, and feel free to comment below.  (I like knowing you guys exist.)

-Allie H-S

No comments:

Post a Comment